The Heritage Foundation, a Washington think tank that promotes conservative causes, recently uploaded this video to YouTube that argues America's approach to nuclear waste should be more like that of France. After a brief history of spent-fuel policies in the U.S., it includes an overview of Areva's La Hague spent fuel recycling facility.
According to Areva's website, La Hague has worked at full capacity every year since 1995, processing 1,700 metric tons of spent fuel annually. Of that, about 96 percent is separated into uranium and plutonium made into new fuel assemblies at Areva's MELOX plant. The remaining 4 percent of the waste is vitrified and stored on site.This clip is part of a longer pro-nuclear documentary by the Heritage Foundation called Powering America.
Anonymous comments will be moderated. Join for free and post now!
What about WIPP?
The problem with spent nuclear fuel waste in the United States is not the technology for reprocessing. We invented it in the 1950s. Our problem is politics!